Having a dedicated sales development function that is separate from sales, can yield more successful lead generation and lead management results, according to Marketo, the fastest-growing provider of Revenue Performance Management (RPM) solutions.
By having a sales development function that is separate from sales, whose sole job in life is to take raw inquiries and qualify them before they are sent to sales, can yield some of the most successful lead generation/lead management programmes.
Seven Ways a Sales Development team can enhance revenues:
1. More consistent and better quality follow-up on leads = better conversion of leads into opportunities.
2. Faster lead response times = better conversion rates. When a lead submits an inquiry on your website, the faster the response the better.
3. Better economics. You want your expensive salespeople closing business with qualified customers, not educating raw leads, talking to people who don’t want to talk to them, or worse, talking to tyre kickers and other unqualified prospects.
4. The human touch enhances lead nurturing.
5. Superior data. It’s an all too common complaint that salespeople don’t update information about the leads in their CRM tool – but it’s much easier to have SDRs enter proper information.
6. Improved revenue cycle analytics. By adding a stage between marketing and sales, you’ll be able to track conversion rates and other key metrics in a more granular fashion.
7. Talent development for sales. Your Sales Development reps can play an important role in your sales talent pipeline, effectively serving as your “farm team” for future quota carrying reps.
Marketo has compiled a Definitive Guide to Sales Lead Qualification and Development, with further best practices and advice. A copy of the guide is available free of charge athttp://blog.marketo.com/blog/2011/03/here-are-my-secret-methods-for-turning-marketing-leads-into-qualified-sales-leads.html.