Survey Minimize
Are you a member of a Sales Association / Professional Body?

Submit Survey 


Professional Sales News

Current Articles | Archives | Search

25 July 2011

News - European cover a must for Company cars going on holiday

By Ben Turner @ 06:46 :: 1909 Views :: 0 Comments :: Article Rating
<< Back  l   

As the summer holidays approach, many company car drivers will be heading to the continent. urges company owners and fleet managers to ensure they have adequate breakdown cover, insurance and appropriate documentation for their company cars or face the music. It has a range of services and advice to help them to be prepared.

The cost of a breakdown and potential repatriation of a vehicle from the continent can be complicated and run into thousands of pounds. Not only that, if a driver does not have appropriate documentation then they can face an on the spot fine and risk having their car impounded, causing significant downtime for businesses. Many drivers overlook the regulations, going on holiday without considering the potential consequences.

Steve Whitmarsh, Managing Director of, said “We have seen many situations where drivers have taken their company vehicles abroad without a second thought, believing that their company has already arranged adequate cover. Many are not aware of the legal requirements of each country they visit, where they should be carrying items like high visibility vests, spare bulbs, first aid kits and warning triangles – facing on the spot fines if they are pulled over. We want to make business owners and fleet managers aware so they can inform and educate their drivers and take the appropriate steps to avoid unnecessary problems when their staff travel for their well-earned family breaks. It does not cost a fortune to provide breakdown cover for staff travelling in Europe – in fact, we sell a membership package including RAC European cover for only £7 per vehicle per month, so there really is no excuse!”

Here are just some of the rules:

An original V5 registration certificate must be carried, and if your vehicles are leased or hired, then the driver must have a VE103R as a substitute V5 registration certificate, along with a letter of authority from the leasing / hire company. In addition, evidence of insurance must also be provided (most certificates are adequate, but you should check with your insurer that you are covered on the continent).

In addition to having the correct legal documents, there are a host of other requirements that need to be observed by people driving to the continent, and this varies by country. For instance, in France vehicles must carry high visibility vests in the passenger compartment for each passenger. For the latest legislation, drivers should check on the Foreign & Commonwealth Office website at:

  << Back Share/Save This Article:     Bookmark and Share
Only registered users may post comments.




© Copyright 2009 | DNN Hosting & SEO Managed by Pure Systems | Terms Of Use | Privacy Statement